Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default O/T: Credit Card v Debit Card

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 06:45:52 -0400, 10x wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Debit card fraud must be reported within 48 hours to stay with in the
$50 liability.

Credit card fraud must be reported within 60 days to stay with in the
$50 liability.

There are other differences, but the above is enough for me not to
have a debit card.

Lew,

You give one very good reason to go with a credit card instead of a
debit card. I can't even think of one good reason TO use a debit card.

There is no reason to use a debit card. But in cases where someone
does not have a credit card, can not get a credit card, or is
financially irresponsible, a debit makes a lot of sense.

In addition to the liability issues that you mentioned above, debit
cards give vendors direct access to your bank account as money is
withdrawn almost immediately when a purchase is made. If money is
withdrawn fraudulently, the bank must return it within 10 days, but
you're the one who has to jump through hoops to make it happen.

Also, credit card issuers are required to allow you to refute a charge
for up to 60 days in the event of a problem. Debit card issuers aren't
required to do this, and their policy on this varies from bank to bank.

Not only that, but using a credit card protects your purchases. You
get limited protection with a debit card, PayPal, a check, or cash.
But, most shoppers tend to spend more with a credit card.

Just remember to pay off that balance EVERY month.

Credit card companies HATE that. Credit card companies hate me!

Joe