Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Shergold Michael Shergold is offline

Default Problem with Potterton Promax 15 HE boiler. Ignition lockout

"Owain" wrote in message
Michael Shergold wrote:
You are assuming that the CORGI con has anything to do with quality
and workmanship. It doesn't.

From the trustcorgi.com website
"Consequently, the CORGI badge is now a guarantee of quality,

It doesn't say whether it's good quality or bad quality (and suggests
that it hasn't always been a guarantee of quality, I wonder how far back
they are referring to)

making it the standard to look for when employing a tradesman.

That's like saying pustules are something to look for on a whore. They
are, but you'd want to run away fast if you find them.

We can help you find an installer in your local area who is qualified to
work in your home

Qualified = has obtained a qualification. Does not necessarily mean (a)
competent (b) reliable (c) honest (d) a good businessperson
Owain

Thanks for the commiserations/suggestions etc. In fact in both our cases
it is slightly embarrassing as in my colleague's case the Corgi man is a
family friend and in my case the plumbing/heating company is part of a
family dynasty. Originally three brothers running individual but
collaborating carpenter-builders/electricians/plumbers companies
respectively, who have served us well over the thirty odd years that we
have lived here. The current Corgi man and his cousin, recently took over
the company from their fathers (now retired), and both were a school with
my sons so they were a fairly natural first choice to install my new boiler
four years ago and has serviced it each year since. I have often
recommended them to neighbours and friends, though they are not the
cheapest tradesmen around. I will be more cautious in future and may well
think again the next time I need a service/repair. In fact I seem to have
learned so much about this boiler now I might well service it myself!!
How do you find an enthusiastic competent tradesman?
Michael