Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default shower valve body in 35 year old home

On Nov 12, 11:27 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
"nobody" wrote in message

... Hi All,

My friends.....many of today's failures are failures by design. We
have the means to make better products but somehow the corporations
running the show think a continuous money stream is more important
than reliability.

Just a word to the wise.....is this what you want? Is this what you
support?

An appropriate posting, as I just read a thread bashing home depot. We
live in a country (forgive my ethnocentric assumption) where we worship a
cheap price tag and bitch about poor quality products, customer service and
moving jobs offshore.

Price, quality, service. Pick any two.

The problem that i've found is that the "big box" stores are the only
ones accessable to the average consumer - e.g. where I live there is a
large plumbing specialty store that is only open during banker's
hours, making them accessable only to contractors or people who don't
have 8-5 jobs.

I'm fortunate that I just discovered another plumbing supplier that is
open "after hours" - I'll be stopping there tomorrow to pick up parts
to redo my kitchen sink drain.

The second part of the problem is that the "big boxes" ONLY sell
cheaply made crap, because they don't consider it worthwhile to sell
top-line products...

That said, I did just pick up a kitchen sink drain assembly at the
"real" store yesterday - it's shorter than the original which is why I
have to go back, but the stopper instead of being a molded rubber plug
is a machined piece of metal with an O-ring for a seal. So when it
fails 10-15 years from now, I simply pick out the O-ring and buy
another (assuming I don't have one in the garage.) I assume that
that's the kind of thing that the OP was talking about... Of course
it is still stamped "TAIWAN"

nate