Simon Avery

Default Electric fence power indicator? Neon?

(Steve Firth) wrote:

Hello Steve

Battery and Mains. The smaller 6v hobby jobs give enough
to be felt. 12v car/leisure batteries kick out about
4-12kv (yep, kilo volts) at absurdly low ampage. The mains
one actually kick out *less* voltage, but higher ampage
and hurt considerably more and can energise miles of wire.

SF| "Ampage" - the term you are searching for an failing to
SF| identify is "current".

Are you sure?

SF| 12V car batteries do not "kick out 4-12kV" they supply
SF| approximately 12V (usually about 12.3-12.8V). An electric
SF| fence run from a 12V battery will supply several kV from the
SF| coil.

Which is what I said.

Guys, if anyone wants a demonstration of the effect of either battery
or mains powered electric fencing, I'm /more/ than happy to connect it
to petty minded pedants. I'm genuinely curious as to the restistivity
of hot-air laden, anal retentive water bags when used as earthing
poles.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: