Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default shower valve body in 35 year old home

nobody wrote:
Hi All,

I had a plumbing service call in a 35 year old home. I opened the
access panel and observed the brand name cast into the valve -- it
was a first quality name. Since I was dealing with a first quality
brand, I decided to rebuild rather than replace.

I wrenched open the valve thru the valve stems. Surprisingly, the
seats were made of stainless steel. Running my fingernail over the
seat revealed no groves whatsoever. I installed some new dirt-cheap
rubber seals and the valve sealed like it was brand new.

My friends.....many of today's failures are failures by design. We
have the means to make better products but somehow the corporations
running the show think a continuous money stream is more important
than reliability.

Just a word to the wise.....is this what you want? Is this what you
support?

Unfortunately a lot of people have bought into the idea popularized by
walmart that the only thing that should ever be considered is a cheap price.