Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default electrical wizards, ceiling fan and 3 ways......

just to clarify, run the three wire cable to the ceiling box from the two
gang box, and with all those wires use the biggest deepest box you can get

"Toller" wrote in message

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
I'm wiring a new room and want to 3 way the ceiling fan light, but not
the fan itself. Here's the text i've typed up for myself to keep things
straight. Is this acceptable practice to have 2 potential hots in a
cable and no common? (cable#2 in the text). What would be perfect is a
12/4, but this is probably only about 15 feet long, and i'm not even sure
there is a 12/4. I've seen 12/2/2 but i believe that contains two
commons. Here's the copied and pasted text...........

Run 12/2 to the two switches; the 2way for the fan and the first 3way for
the light.
Run 12/3 from the first 3way to the second 3way. (commons and hot)
Run 12/3 to the fan/light. (2 hots and neutral)

Unless I am missing something, it is pretty straightforward.