Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default electrical wizards, ceiling fan and 3 ways......

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
I'm wiring a new room and want to 3 way the ceiling fan light, but not the
fan itself. Here's the text i've typed up for myself to keep things
straight. Is this acceptable practice to have 2 potential hots in a
cable and no common? (cable#2 in the text). What would be perfect is a
12/4, but this is probably only about 15 feet long, and i'm not even sure
there is a 12/4. I've seen 12/2/2 but i believe that contains two
commons. Here's the copied and pasted text...........

Run 12/2 to the two switches; the 2way for the fan and the first 3way for
the light.
Run 12/3 from the first 3way to the second 3way. (commons and hot)
Run 12/3 to the fan/light. (2 hots and neutral)

Unless I am missing something, it is pretty straightforward.