Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_3_] Steve Barker[_3_] is offline

Default ATTN: electrical wizards, ceiling fan and 3 ways......

I'm wiring a new room and want to 3 way the ceiling fan light, but not the
fan itself. Here's the text i've typed up for myself to keep things
straight. Is this acceptable practice to have 2 potential hots in a cable
and no common? (cable#2 in the text). What would be perfect is a 12/4, but
this is probably only about 15 feet long, and i'm not even sure there is a
12/4. I've seen 12/2/2 but i believe that contains two commons. Here's the
copied and pasted text...........

Ceiling fan - Existing feed switched near the kitchen door:

From Kitchen Door switches for ceiling fan:

Cable#1 White is common

Black is switched SPST for the fan

Cable#2 White is traveler marked Blue, passes through ceiling fan
box to white marked blue from back door cable

Black is traveler, passes through ceiling fan box to
the black wire from the back door cable.

From Back door 3 way for ceiling fan light:

White is a traveler marked Blue, passing through the
ceiling fan box

Black is a traveler passing through the ceiling fan
box

Red is switched load to ceiling fan light

Thanks for the input, and if you can tell me how to delete these damn double
lines in word, that'd be great also. G

steve barker