Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E[_2_] C & E[_2_] is offline

Default Gasoline Spill/Smell inside of car

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was taking my gasoline container to the gas station in my car to get
it refilled for the lawn mower and it tipped over and spilled into my
backseat. I cleaned it up with soap and water, but it still wreaks of
gasoline in my car.

Does anyone know of a faster way to get rid of this smell? Air
freshener doesn't help at all, it's more like a temporary remedy. Any
help would be much appreciated.

he

It's likely that a residue of the gasoline is in the seat foam and the
carpet. Remove the seat and the carpet and turn them upside down so that
the most permeable side of both is facing up and lay them in the sun to
allow UV light to strime them. I'm not sure if having them in a very warm
tent made of plastic with a bit of ventilation provided by openings at the
bottom and at the top. The heat may help to volatize the source of the
odor. It's a crap shoot at best, though. That stuff is reeealy tenacious.
Best of luck to you. Why not post back if you find something that works
longer than a week or two.