Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default can plexiglass adhere to brick fireplace with caulk?

ap wrote:
hello,
To cut down on draft in our fireplace which is never used,
we caulked the edges of the fireplace and then tried
to attach the plexiglass. Some portions appear to have adhered,
others don't.
Is there something else to use to make the plexi adhere to brick?
We tried to cut the glass so that it attaches almost to the joints
of the brick to the wooden trim.

If you were to use a clear rtv silicon and set the edge in a bead, it'll
be there 'til the proverbial cows arrive. You best want to not use it
in the future if you do it that way or you (or the subsequent occupants)
will rue the day you chose to do it that way.

I would rather make a frame and mount it to the fireplace surround w/
removable fasteners, then attach the plexiglass to that...