Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasoline Spill/Smell inside of car

On Nov 12, 3:21 pm, Tom Lachance wrote:
wrote:
I was taking my gasoline container to the gas station in my car to get
it refilled for the lawn mower and it tipped over and spilled into my
backseat. I cleaned it up with soap and water, but it still wreaks of
gasoline in my car.

Does anyone know of a faster way to get rid of this smell? Air
freshener doesn't help at all, it's more like a temporary remedy. Any
help would be much appreciated.

Saw an odor eliminator at Home Depot. Comes in a can about the size of a
can of car wax. When I had a fire in my house a couple of years ago,
Servepro gave me a similar product. Open the can and leave it in the
car. It should absorb the odor.

The problem is likely not with the back seat. Getting it
professionally cleaned won't solve it. The gasoline likely went
through the seat as in under it, under any carpet etc. Think like a
liquid and figure out where it might flow. You probably will need to
remove the back seat to get to it, which isn't that big of a deal. Or
wait a long time...