Posted to alt.home.repair
bent bent is offline

Default Forgotten receptacle wiring tracked all way back into fuse box and to target

whatb I have learned and where I could go with this: i guess whats going on
is the top plug is dependant on one fuse, and the bottom plug is dependant
on the other fuse. And the light would also be connected to just one of
those hot supplies, and its fuse. Wrt the code, the outright safety, and my
physical wiring, I will want to do what apparently looks correct (for sight
inspection purposes), and is safe, then easiest. The two whites, since
connected together, you say I need to attach a short third wire into a
marrett then to just one of the screws. Sort of like the ground is. Easy
enough . Or is it good to just attach each white one to each of the two
screws? i.e. Are you suggesting I do that with the black from the light and
either red or black from the fusebox. I cannot fully understand what you're
saying. Whatever I do I want to to be as safe as before first. Not crazy
safe. Not necc even code safe. safe. And wrt whats going on further, i
don't understand you yet; thats me.

I'm in Toronto, ON, CA. Seperate residential home. Before the F light,
this location may have been for fridge; or another main kitchen power
supply, but now its just is just a single 20W Flourescent light mounted
under the kitchen cabinets, nothing else to it. The plug top or bottom is
only permanently connected to a clock radio. Its above the countertop, so
30" + 8" from the floor. Maybe a mixer on occasion, or just to check
something is working. Its at the front exit doorway (without door). The F
light is directly above the plug (a foot offset to the right) and about a
foot higher than the plug, and there is 3 or 5 feet between the two, and the
only (double) std. kitchen sink, a litle lower farther to the smae right,
and none else for 30 feet. There is a dishwasher directly below the counter
centered about where the F light is, but on a different circuit. The fridge
is directly opposite. Everything is std, furhter. Any more needed?

To be honest, I may need an ok like "you're at least safe enough" for the
wiring I chooses, cuz you've lost me, and I may not need be so tickedy-boo
about pigtailing, etc. If I think wrapping two solid 14 ga wires around the
same receptacle screw is safe enough (because of proximity to sides of steel
box when installed, unless otherwise obviously visually code wrong, or
unsafe, I'm willing to do it.

What about: (wrt safety at least, if I put it all together like this):
black (from fusebox fuse A) and black (from F light) to the top screw
(broken hot tab)
red (from fusebox fuse B) to the bottom screw (broken hot tab)
white (either to fuse box or F light) to one steel screw (intact tab)
other (other either to fuse box or F light) white to other steel screw
(intact tab)