Posted to rec.woodworking
Adam[_2_] Adam[_2_] is offline

Default Ebay Items?

I do not really understand how I would do it without a jig. I am very
new to this, but am very excited about the possibilities of using a
router and also creating dovetail joints!

Tanus wrote:
DLB wrote:
On Nov 12, 4:56 pm, Adam wrote:
I am looking into getting a router and a dovetail jig. I went to
woodcraft and the prices are pretty high for someone just getting into
this.

What do you guys think of these for someone starting out? What should I
be looking for anyway?!

Dovetail
Jig:http://cgi.ebay.com/New-ProLine-12-D...Woodworking-Ma...

Router:http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Neiko-USA-2-...odworking-NR_W...

Thanks,

Adam Cavaliere

They both appear to be inexpensive (cheap) knock-offs. In my
experience, cheap tools are frustrating. I am not saying you couldn't
do good work with these tools, just be ready for the frustation. You
might be better off buying higher quality used brands. Look on
craigslist in your area.

Dave

I'd agree with Dave, but I'll add something else. I don't own a dovetail
jig, and some of the other guys may be able verify/refute what I'm
saying about the jigs. I've never heard anything negative about the
higher end jigs (i.e. Leigh) but I question the need for them for the
occasional hobbyist.

I've done dovetails by hand and I've used my route. Both methods have
produced respectable results, without the learning curve required for a
jig. My impression of owning a jig is that it's a godsend for someone
who's doing a lot of dovetails, but only so-so for someone who's either
new to the field or is doing just a few dovetails.