Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Gasoline Spill/Smell inside of car

wrote:
I was taking my gasoline container to the gas station in my car to get
it refilled for the lawn mower and it tipped over and spilled into my
backseat. I cleaned it up with soap and water, but it still wreaks of
gasoline in my car.

Does anyone know of a faster way to get rid of this smell? Air
freshener doesn't help at all, it's more like a temporary remedy. Any
help would be much appreciated.

I don't know of anything whatever that will negate the aroma.

About only way to speed it up would be to remove seat and cover and use
a less aromatic solvent to clean the upholstery and cushions where it
was absorbed. Airing the vehicle well will speed up the evaporation
rate and _eventually_ the volatiles will disperse, but it'll take quite
some time if there was any amount at all.

Of course, a match would work quicker...