Posted to alt.home.repair
bent bent is offline

Default Forgotten receptacle wiring tracked all way back into fuse box and to target

I traced the cabling back into the fuse box. This receptacle box (the one I
want to change the broken plastic on) has two lines coming into/ going out
of it: a 14/3 (black/white/red, + gnd) going back to the fuse box, and a
14/2 (black/white, + gnd) going to a single under the counter type ~20W
fluorecent light with a little on/off button. So for a simple plug ( a 5W
clock radio), and a simple light it has some pretty specail wiring, and
probably a waste since it is an original fusebox short on spots (none left).
Anyways, ok, maybe it was a special place before the kitchen remodel.

The 14/3 cable going back to the fuse box has a white, a red, a black, and
the bare copper ground wire. The red is connected to the fuse on the right,
and the black is connected to the fuse on the left, of a double fuse holder.
You must remove both the fuses to re and re just one. I am just assuming
the white and gnd are wired into the fuse box as they normally would be, but
I haven't traced them. Don't start with 220!!

The first/only time I tried wiring the new plastic receptacle in I had the
wires wrong and vaporized the fuse. I believe it was the fuse on the left
(the black wire) , if it matters. Also, due to my current IE settings I do
not have access to my original post if any of that matters. I can.

So I broke the connector on the hot (brass) side of the new receptacle, as
it was broken (on the same side) of the original receptacle. The original
receptacle had the push in type of wire connector on the back of it (4
push-in locations in total in the 4 corners on the rear of the receptacle).
The new replacement receptacle doesn't have push-ins on the back. So where
does that wire go? It was black. there was only one wire pushed in to any
connector on the back and it was black (I'm very sure, of both, 1 and black,
I think) I don't know which black wire it was, but it doesn't matter,
right.

So:
Bare ground to bare ground to bottom ground screw of the receptacle. The
two are to the rear of the box, and another single wire to the receptacle
screw)
White wire to white wire on the silver coloured/unbroken side of the new
receptacle. So they become connected, as are the grounds.

Red wire from fuse box to where?
Black wire (from the fuse box) to where.
Black wire (to supply power to the single, 20W F. light) to where?

All I can assume is that the black and red hot wires from the fuse box are
on opposite sides of the broken tab. I do not know if it matter which
(black/red hot supply) wire goes where (top or bottom of broken tab), and I
do not know if it matters where the black (hot) wire to the light goes.
(with the black or red wires of the hot fuse box supply), or to the top or
bottom of the tab, or which combination, if any is important)