Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_3_] Steve Barker[_3_] is offline

Default Blocking toilet drain (temporarily)

Just lay a board over it. Jeeeeze......

It's not like there's 40 psi of gas in there.....

steve

"JA" wrote in message
. ..
I'm replacing the floor in one of my bathrooms and need to have the toilet
removed for several days while I remove the current subfloor, replace it,
tile, and grout. Everything I've read says to block the toilet drain with
a rag. We've done that as a temporary solution when running back and
forth to the store for extra parts when replacing a toilet, but leaving a
rag blocking the drain for several days seems like an invitation for sewer
gas to infiltrate my house, or for me to accidentally block the drain with
the rag. (Besides which, it will drive my husband crazy because he will
be *sure* I will accidentally drop something down the drain.) I assume I
can buy some sort of cap to temporarily block the drain, but before I go
to the plumbing supply store, can somebody give me the correct name for
the part so I know what to ask for?

Thanks.