Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
rosemary Wright rosemary Wright is offline

Default Bandsaw risers

Hi gang, I am a little confused by this term "Riser", is it an
Americanism or just a technical term I have not come across before. Could
someone explain what a Riser does, where it fits etc.
Thanks all
Hotfoot.

"mac davis" wrote in message
: On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 23:18:10 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
: wrote:
:
: I have been debating about using a riser on the bandsaw for a while now.
: Since I just ordered three more blades from Tufftooth (yes that is a
: recommendation on my part) it will be a while if ever before I do it.
: Frankly I prefer to round large bowl blanks with a chainsaw. However, I
like
: to resaw now and then and am debating about using a riser on the saw. It
is
: a 20 year old (at least) 10" (not 14") Rockwell/Beaver. That said I would
: have to make a riser block on my own to work and I wonder if it is worth
it.
: At present it does a nice job on 5 1/2" maple even dry but occasionally I
: would like to resaw thicker for guiter tops and backs. 3 more inches
would
: make a hugh difference.
:
: If anyone can do it, you can, oh blacksmith friend...
:
: I know that you're always aware of safety issues, so be aware that when
you buy
: a riser KIT, it's more than the block for the frame..
: You also need a longer guide height adjuster bar, longer front and back
blade
: guards, etc...
:
: Also knowing that you have been known to squeeze a penny into a dime, I
won't
: give the usual advise to just go buy a bigger saw.. ;-]
:
: I like the extra 6" clearance on my 14" saw, thought I seldom "need" it..
: One thing that it really helps is if you want to add a shop-made table,
you can
: make it an extra 1/2"thick if you want without worrying about losing
critical
: clearance..
: Also, I'm a little over 6' tall and while not a giant, I like the frame
being 6"
: higher and more out of my line of sight to the blade..
:
:
: mac
:
: Please remove splinters before emailing