Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default How do I use a Split bolt ? (electrical)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 04:28:46 -0000, Albert wrote:

I have a 60 amp circuit with a single outlet (I believe an L5-50) that
I use for my welder. I want to add a second outlet to this circuit so
that I don't have to keep unplugging/plugging when I want to use
another welder. I won't be using both welders at the same time. The
conductors are 6 gauge. Normally I would use some wire nuts but I
can't find any that are rated to hold three 6 gauge conductors. The
home centers in my area have big blue wire nuts that can only hold two
6 gauge wires. They also have split bolts. Can I use these? Do I
just strip the middle of one wire and the end of the other wire, then
insert them into the split bolt? Then wrap with electrical tape? I'm
a bit leery of a 208V, 60A circuit insulated with electrical tape. Is
shrink tube any safer? Finding a shrink tube with diameter greater
than the length of the split bolt might be tricky. Are these split
bolts only intended for ground conductors?

The split bolts are the way to go. The best way to insulate them is to
wrap with splicing tape, which is thick, rubbery and self-vulcanizing,
then cover that with vinyl electrical tape. Make sure the split bolts
are compatible with your wire (aluminum or copper). Wire brush the
wire and use de-ox goo if it is aluminum.

You should also be aware that a multi-outlet circuit greater than 50A
in a residential setting is *not* code compliant.

--
Ned Simmons