Bob Powell

Default carbide inserts and lathe holders for same

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Anyone have any comments on the strength and reliability of the
5-pc holder sets that everybody sells? Also, does anyone have

I bought some of the "USA" holders from MSC around 8 years ago, the style
that use the TCMM32x inserts. This is a slightly different insert
(different screw hole) from the "Borite" MSC sells for slightly more. The
holders are fine, they get used on a 15" lathe, really should be using 3/4"
shank tools but these are what I already had. These get used for the quick
& dirty work, they generally don't give me a great surface finish.

Two years ago I decided to complete the set with the "Import" set from
Enco/MSC that uses the same inserts.

I cant' comment on the grade of steel, but the finish of the insert seats
looked like they had literally been cut by hand with a belt sander. The
inserts didn't even sit tight against the back of the seat. Went right
back, Enco's satisfaction guarantee is that I got to pay shipping both ways.

My lathe, and surely your Sheldon, should do just great with negative rake
tooling. I haven't done enough turning lately to explore further into it.

Bob