Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Buy to lets

Huge wrote:

I can only speak for the pubs I've visited. As can you.

I agree.

The pubs I've visited are at least as busy as they were before the ban,
and the bar staff and owners are very happy with the change. Especially
in the numerous "gastro-pubs" in London.

Please explain why - if the smoking ban was going to be good for overall
business in the licence trade - their trade body was so much against it as
implemented?

I have no idea. And what's more, I don't care.

I'd have a guess that it was fear of the unknown. Some publicans look
out into the lounge, see the thick smoke and assume that every customner
is smoking and that a ban will lose all of those customers. In truth the
smokers were a minority with an influence on the majority. When they
stop smoking more people feel able to visit the pub in comfort.

I've certainly started to make more use of pubs for food when away from
home, they're cheaper than most restaurants, better food than many
restaurants and pleasant places now that I no longer feel the need to
heave over my dinner.