Posted to alt.home.repair
JA JA is offline

Default Blocking toilet drain (temporarily)

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 12, 8:18 am, "JA" wrote:
I'm replacing the floor in one of my bathrooms and need to have the
toilet
removed for several days while I remove the current subfloor, replace it,
tile, and grout. Everything I've read says to block the toilet drain
with a
rag. We've done that as a temporary solution when running back and forth
the store for extra parts when replacing a toilet, but leaving a rag
blocking the drain for several days seems like an invitation for sewer
gas
to infiltrate my house, or for me to accidentally block the drain with
the
rag. (Besides which, it will drive my husband crazy because he will be
*sure* I will accidentally drop something down the drain.) I assume I
can
buy some sort of cap to temporarily block the drain, but before I go to
the
plumbing supply store, can somebody give me the correct name for the part
so
I know what to ask for?

Thanks.

You really don't need to waste money on a cap. Take one of the
plastic bags that you get at the grocery store and fill it with rags.
Jam it down into the drain. It'll be too big to fall down the drain
and you won't get your rags full are wax/other stuff. Just empty the
bag and toss it when you're done.

If you really want to spend money, get a Dollar Plug:

http://www.lspproducts.com/SpecSheet...DollarPlug.pdf

Thanks for the help.