Posted to alt.home.repair,soc.senior.issues,misc.consumers

Default Don't throw away the batteries

On Nov 11, 11:10?pm, (Jonathan Kamens)
wrote:
writes:
I once read that you are supposed to replace the smoke detector every
10 years or something like that. I think that is just a gimmick to
sell them. If they work when the button is pushed, they work.....

See:

http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?c...D=20526&URL=Re...

The executive summary is that if you test all of your smoke alarms
once a month, then you can get away with waiting to replace them until
they fail, but if you don't test them regularly, you're better off
replacing them on a regular schedule, and once every ten years is
extremely reasonable, because "in ten years there is roughly a 30%
probability of failure before replacement."

--
Help stop the genocide in Darfur!http://www.genocideintervention.net/

I bought a pricey kiddie one with 10 year sealed battery. it went off
twice in a year for a minute or two, then failed at just over a year
old, chirped cnstantly.....

so i went back to regular smoke detectors, the long life ones arent
worth it