Posted to alt.home.repair
john john is offline

Default Plumbing questions with pics

I was running my food dispenser today after washing the dishes and heard a
weird sound... I looked down below and the dispenser practically dropped
down on its own. The plastic was so corroded near the top connection to the
sink. You can somewhat see this in the left side of the image here -

http://www.world-news-forums.com/plu.../plumbing1.jpg

It was much more corroded on the other side and on the bottom part of that
pic...near the connection. It was like the plastic was eaten away. Can
bacteria really do this? The dispenser was atleast 10 years old and they
put it in before I moved in here.

My main question is how to remove these stubborn metal pieces that are from
the dispenser that connect to the sink. I have pics of them here -

http://www.world-news-forums.com/plu.../plumbing4.jpg ( a little
blurry)

http://www.world-news-forums.com/plu.../plumbing3.jpg

Is there a special tool needed to remove them? Im trying to completely
remove them from the sink including the drain piece on the top -

http://www.world-news-forums.com/plu.../plumbing2.jpg

I didnt see any screws or anything.. tried with decent pressure the twist
with my hand but it wouldnt budge.

I would like to do away completely with the dispenser and just use piping.
A few plumbers have told me that these dispensers only cause problems down
the road. I can now see why...

any help would be great... Im going to print up plumbing3.jpg when I go to
Lowes tomorrow so they could help me figure out what kind of piping setup I
need. I have a dishwasher tube aswell that needs to connect in. (its that
grey tube in plumbing3.jpg)

Just wish I could get this stubborn metal pieces out from the sink.

John in PA.