Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32527 Ignoramus32527 is offline

Default How do I use a Split bolt ? (electrical)

A more suitable device would be a "terminal block". Some are made to
accept several wires and keep them in using a push-down setscrew. I
have some in my "stuff pile", they are not hard to find.

On 2007-11-12, Albert wrote:
I have a 60 amp circuit with a single outlet (I believe an L5-50) that
I use for my welder. I want to add a second outlet to this circuit so
that I don't have to keep unplugging/plugging when I want to use
another welder. I won't be using both welders at the same time. The
conductors are 6 gauge. Normally I would use some wire nuts but I
can't find any that are rated to hold three 6 gauge conductors. The
home centers in my area have big blue wire nuts that can only hold two
6 gauge wires. They also have split bolts. Can I use these? Do I
just strip the middle of one wire and the end of the other wire, then
insert them into the split bolt? Then wrap with electrical tape? I'm
a bit leery of a 208V, 60A circuit insulated with electrical tape. Is
shrink tube any safer? Finding a shrink tube with diameter greater
than the length of the split bolt might be tricky. Are these split
bolts only intended for ground conductors?

I would add another circuit except my panel is completely full.

Any ideas? Thanks.