Posted to alt.home.repair,soc.senior.issues,misc.consumers
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Don't throw away the batteries

wrote:

I used to carry a box of batts with me and just change them whether
they chirped or not. When I started working for him, I told him it
was cheap insurance and was actually required by law to keep them
working, not to mention that they really got on my nerves when I was
working there. He agreed and bought a whole box of batteries. What I
found is that about half of them had the battery removed. We also
soon learned that a few tenants would take the battery out as soon as
we replaced it. They would use them for personal use. I just passed
this on to the landlord who would send them a "scare notice" stating
that they could be evicted if they did it again. That helped quite a
bit. And then there were the tenants who would destroy the detector
to silence it. The landlord would add the replacement cost to their
next rent bill. We never wanted to hassle these people, but there had
to be some action taken to keep things working and keep them from
damaging them. Shortly after, he added a clause in their rental lease
about detectors, which made it clear what they were to and not to do
with them.

Be awa Fire departments routinely add to their reports whether the
residence had a working smoke detector. This report is made available to
insurance companies.