Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea?

"VQ" wrote in message
ps.com...
Water Heater Mfr: American Water Heater Co
Model: G62-40T34-3N
Capacity: 40 gal, gas-heated, 34000 BTU/HR
Installed in 1998, Souther California, Very Hard Water, No Water
Softening system.
6 year Mfr warranty.
Never maintained.

Currently makes gurgling sounds (like marbles rolling around in tank)
when hot water faucet downstairs is turned on.
Is draining/flushing the water heater now (something that should have
been done every 6-12 months) a bad idea?

We also have very hard water, and my waterheater did the same thing. I
flushed it and all kinds of nasty white crap came out. It started rumbling
again in about 3 months. So I flushed it again and more garbage came out.
It started rumbling again. I gave up after that. I got a new waterheater
and watersoftner, and no more rumbling....ever.