Posted to rec.woodworking
John John is offline

Default Replace battery for Ryobi drill or buy new drill?

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:31:18 -0800, Bookish
wrote:

My Ryobi cordless drill-driver's nicad batteries won't hold a charge.
I see 9.6 volt replacement batteries (generic) with shipping for
around $30. For that price I can get a new Black & Decker Model #
XD1200K drill/driver or a new Sears 12.0 volt Companion Cordless
Drill / Driver. I just use it for light household projects. Would
either of these two new ones be a better choice than replacing the
Ryobi battery? Would anyone recommend a different one in this price
range? Thanks.

Check Ebay - be certain you have the exact part/model number. My
drill/driver can use either of two battery packs, but only one of them
fits in the original charger.

I just purchased a couple of NOS (new, old stock) batteries for my
Craftsman drill/driver - $21 delivered, which is about half the price
of one refurbished pack (old case, new cells) and 1/3 of what Sears
wanted (when they were still stocked).

I also got another drill/driver (same model) in excellent condition
for $13 delivered. Why? Drill bit in one; screwdriver bit in the
other.

John