Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

In article ,
Mike Clarke writes:
In article 4737577f@qaanaaq Andy Hall wrote:

So where do I find fittings using G4 and G9?

There's an abundance of them around in the shops, usually with lots of thin
spindly arms with little 10W or 20W halogen 12V capsules at the end, e.g.
Argos 0021993, 4324304 and 4323659. We've been looking for a central
fitting for the living room (don't want downlighters or reflector spots)
and would normally prefer something simpler with good old fashioned bulbs
but if that means having to end up with CFLs poking out the end of the
fittings then 12V halogens might be the way to go. There seems to be a

G9 are mains halogen capsules, in 25W or 40W IIRC.

distinct shortage of fittings designed to look right with CFLs.

I tend not to like fittings where the bulb is visible at all.
There's a distinct shortage of fittings I like, so I tend to
make my own, and as such, they're designed to take CFL's.

--
Andrew Gabriel