Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.econ,misc.consumers.house
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to use FLIR infrared camera to reduce Winter home heatingbills.

daestrom wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
drydem wrote:
On Nov 8, 3:34 pm, Joe wrote:
Video viahttp://Muvy.org

which points to ...

FLIR thermal infrared imaging home inspection, energy camera
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jXPXE0qsmjg

fyi: In the above video the IR inspection company
is using the following tool

RAZIR (Sierra Pacific Innovations) FLIR camera
http://www.thermcam.com/

I saw this particular FLIR camera priced
at 12,499.00 USD by this one particular
instrumentation company and they were
also charging 145.00 usd for a spare battery!

Fluke Ti20 at 6495 USD was less expensive but
its does not do all the fancy things that the RAZIR
does ( the RAZIR connect to your laptop with a USB
port)

Now if I could just find a company in this small town that had one
(ANY sort of IR camera), and could come out and do a walkaround for
me. It'd be worth a C-note to me to be able to target my limited
repair funds at the worst leaks.

Another cheap alternative, *IF* you have a 35mm film camera (not
digital) is to buy some infrared film and take pictures. Have to wait
until they're back from developing, but not too bad. Google '35mm
infrared film'.

daestrom

aem sends...

Now that one I was aware of, and I do have a plethora of good 35mm
cameras. I'd have to special-order the film, however, and I'd be
surprised if I could only order a single roll, or even a few. Most
stores around here no longer carry 35mm, other than preloaded in
disposable cameras.

Hey, that is a market niche for somebody to exploit- have some company
that makes store-brand disposables do a production run of ones loaded
with IR film, package them with instructions and a prepaid processing
envelope, and sell them in the insulation and weatherstripping aisles at
the big-box stores. (If anybody out there makes a go of that, I want a
cut of the profits...)

I can see it now- thousands of DIYs out there at midnight in winter
coats, taking pictures of there houses, while the neighbors call in
prowler reports... :^/

aem sends...