Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea?

On Nov 11, 2:51?pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Flushing now may extend the life of the water heater, or may not. If
you break the valve, not uncommon with the cheap ones that come with the
water heater, then you will have a bit of a mess on your hands and a cheap
repair.

If you do flush it, I would expect it will fail in about two years and
you will blame the flushing, if you don't it will fail in about 18 months
and you will blame that on not flushing. :-)

"VQ" wrote in message

ps.com...

Water Heater Mfr: American Water Heater Co
Model: G62-40T34-3N
Capacity: 40 gal, gas-heated, 34000 BTU/HR
Installed in 1998, Souther California, Very Hard Water, No Water
Softening system.
6 year Mfr warranty.
Never maintained.

Currently makes gurgling sounds (like marbles rolling around in tank)
when hot water faucet downstairs is turned on.
Is draining/flushing the water heater now (something that should have
been done every 6-12 months) a bad idea?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

the noise doesnt effect operation or heater lifetime, its just
annoying unless you decide to ignore it. theres a great chance of
breaking the valve or having to remove it altogether and replace with
ball valve, the sludge will clog a regular valve.

Heaters are cheap simple devices I would leave it alone till it fails,
or buy a new heater, and trash the old one.