B.B.

Default Lyeden Jars

In article ,
Kamus of Kadizhar wrote:

Maybe this isn't the right group, but I can't find the right one, so
appologies in advance if this is OT.

I'm trying to build some Leyden jars
http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/~eugeniik/instruments/archaic/leyden_jars.htm .

A Leyden Jar is basically an insulating container (glass, plastic) with a
thin coating of a metal conductor on the inside and the outside.

Normally, you apply a metal foil both inside and outside the container.

But... I want to build these inside wine bottles, so I can't reach in and
apply a coating by hand.

I've thought about metallic paint - thinning it and swishing it around.
Something like this: http://www.lessemf.com/292.html . I've though
about electroplating, but that doesn't seem practical.

To prevent sparking, the coating needs to stop about 1/3 of the way from
the top of the jar.

Any suggestions for coating the inside of a container with a conductive
film, without actually reaching in? Oh, and this is being done on a
shoe-string budget, so expensive solutions are out....

TIA,

--Kamus

When my halogen bulbs burn out on my car they leave a clean shiny
metallic coating on the inside of the bulb. If you could find out what
process causes that you might be able to reproduce it to coat your jars.
Sorry i can't be more specific.

B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net
Fire the stupid--Vote.