Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I bought a $15,000 home with problems.

On Nov 10, 12:36?pm, wrote:
I just bought a home for $15,000. It had been listed for $79,900 but
the price was lowered when they discovered several major faults.
There is an electrical short which is sparking in the house. There is
also a gas leak and the house has the strong odor of gas. I just paid
cash for it and the closing was yesterday. I'm a little short on cash
after that, and I want to get some homeowners insurance before I begin
repairs, in case someone gets hurt. So it may be a few weeks before I
get started on the repairs. When I do, which problem should I fix
first?

Norman T.

start by turning off all utilities.

its not insurable till repaired.

oddly enough it sounds like a fun project.

with all utilities off get gas leak fixed first, then put in temporary
electrical service. assuming main panel is OK run a line or two to
each floor for power during construction with a light on each floor.

one of my most memorable moments.

friends had a house fire, I was walking thru home with owner and
remarked dont touch around anything electrical might be dangerous.

She said no the fire restoration electrician has everything safe
theres no power on this floor. At that moment she touched a sconce by
a mantel, sparks and got shocked she flew across room.

The fire restoration folks got fired and I disconnected ALL lines from
main panel in basement and installed some temporary lines on each
floor with a master switch which served them well till the job was
complete.

In pittsburgh you MUST use a registered electrician, he asked who did
your temporary they did a nice job.