Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default Bandsaw risers

On Nov 9, 6:18 pm, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:
I have been debating about using a riser on the bandsaw for a while now.
Since I just ordered three more blades from Tufftooth (yes that is a
recommendation on my part) it will be a while if ever before I do it.
Frankly I prefer to round large bowl blanks with a chainsaw. However, I like
to resaw now and then and am debating about using a riser on the saw. It is
a 20 year old (at least) 10" (not 14") Rockwell/Beaver. That said I would
have to make a riser block on my own to work and I wonder if it is worth it.
At present it does a nice job on 5 1/2" maple even dry but occasionally I
would like to resaw thicker for guiter tops and backs. 3 more inches would
make a hugh difference.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Darrell
I have just been down that road so let me tell you a story,
I own a 1970's Canadian Rockwell 14" and decided to go for a riser. I
managed to get a Delta one from the Internet for $120. I had to do
some grinding of the webs in the frame to get the longer bolt in but
apart from that all fitted pretty well. I was not impressed with the
quality and machining of the guard extensions and had to do some
tweaking. I buy my blades from Spence Distributiors in Manitioa
http://www.spencedistributors.com/index.cfm and ordered 5 blades for
the new 105" length. I found the 3/4 HP motor was really underpowered
and feed rates were very slow. So I upgraded to a new 1HP 220v
motorand still had the same problem on anything over 8" thick. I was
cutting green wood with a 1/2" 3TPI blade.
Now I have a 20" General with a 2HP 220v motor and it's unstoppable
even with 12" of wet honey locust using the same type of blade.
I went back to the 14" Rockwell and did a lot of investigating and
found the riser block had put the wheels out of alignment vertically
and horizontally so i dis some grinding and filing and got everything
back true. It still won't handle anything over 8" without a very slow
feed speed.
So is a riser worth it? NO