Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Tool bit for V-Belt Pulley

Brad Smallridge wrote:

A Few Questions:

I recently made a V-belt pulley but with some difficulty because I had
trouble setting up a 20 degree angle on the inside surface closest the lathe
head. I suppose I could turn the pulley around but then it might not run
true.

Anyway, seems like I should be able buy an off-the-shelf tool bit with a
snubbed 40 degree included angle. Just plunge a certain depth and I'm done.
Is there such an animal?

Second, I could go for a smaller belt but can't seem to find anything smaller
than 2L. Where should I look? And if I can't go smaller, how come?

You didn't say what material you used. When I made a 4-step sheave I started
by drilling/reaming the hole, then I used a mandrel and did every other
operation on the one setup. I remember grinding a tool with a long angled
tip but I'm positive I used the swiveled compound to feed it along the edge
rather than plunging it all at once - this on a 9" South Bend, not a rigid
lathe. Of course, rough out the slots with a parting tool, get most of the
material out of there. I made mine out of aluminum - it's held up fine for
about seven years now, no signs of slackening. I've seen guys glue up circles
of hardwood and turn those into sheaves too. Steel would be real hard on a
little lathe.

Grant