Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Buy to lets

"Maria" wrote in message

NB The BMA (like Hitler) would like to ban smoking, full stop. Now
all you non-smokers, I do have some sympathy with - even as a smoker I
find the smell of second-hand smnoke repulsive - I smoke roll-ups so
they don't give off much smoke as factory made ciggies. However, now
the BMA have got their way on this, alcohol is next. It does far more
damage to your body than smoking. If people are duped into believing
that the smoke-ban is for other people's health and so it is worth
supporting, they *will* have the courage to do the same with alcohol.
In that case, they cannot use a 'passive drinking' as an excuse, so
they are using young people harming themselves through drink.

Won't happen - doesn't stand even a miniscule chance of doing so. Alcohol is
used at all levels of society as a social lubricant, and TPTB aren't going
to give that up, and we've also got the disaster which was prohibition in
the US to demonstrate how it doesn't work.

Also, I'm fairly sure alcohol isn't nearly as addictive as nicotine - yes,
if you're addicted to it, you're stuffed, but it's rather easier to not get
that far in the first place.

(Alcohol is trivially easy to make for yourself, so attempts to ban it are
doomed to failure.)

cheers,
clive