Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Split load CU

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article m,
ac1951 writes:
Getting differing messages on what to protect (RCD) and what not...

and finally: If you were doing a re-wire now would you connect the
bathroom lighting cct seperatly via a RCBO or is there danger that
this requirement in the 17th edition will not be ratified.

There's no chance that what you describe will become the norm; RCBO's
are too expensive and not available for many of the budget CU's often
used in initial installs. I suspect it's most likely to be done with
an FCU taking power from an RCD-protected ring circuit, which in
effect replaces the fan isolator which becomes no longer necessary,
so there's no cost increase.

Personally, I would not RCD protect the bathroom light at this time,
but I do fit them out of reach. I might consider RCD protection if
the lighting was in reach, such as makeup lights around a mirror.

It is my intention when the new rules come in to use an RCD fused spur off
the lighting ciruit for the bathroom lights. This is for a cost reasons.
Most houses do not have the CU near the bathroom and the labour for
installing one radial off an RCBO for one room would have to be passed on to
the customer.

Adam