Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_2_] Tom Horne[_2_] is offline

Default Octagonal Junction Boxes

wrote:
I know this is a thin slice but, I am doing a research project that
involves octagonal electrical junction boxes. Does anyone know when
these boxes were first used in America? According to a Wikipedia
article, "knob and tube wiring (sometimes abbreviated K&T) was the
earliest standardized method of electrical wiring in buildings, in
common use from about 1880 to the 1930s." It appears to me that this
approach didn't use junction boxes much so they probably didn't come
on the scene until the thirties or so. Thanks in advance for any
help. Ted

Ted
I've been an electrician for forty plus years. I've seen a lot of boxes
in knob and tube installations. The wire from the last knob/tube to the
box and from the box to the next knob/tube was in a woven tar
impregnated tube called loom. Many of these early boxes were black
painted common steel. They were actually round in shape. The shape was
changed to octagonal to better accommodate the lock nuts used to secure
threaded conduit to the boxes.
--
Tom Horne