Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Octagonal Junction Boxes

Don't put to much stock in Wiki. While Jim is a veritable encyclopedia on
this stuff, there is also a fine book called "Old Electrical Wiring" by
David E. Shapiro that can give you a pretty good chronological breakdown of
what was available and when

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this is a thin slice but, I am doing a research project that
involves octagonal electrical junction boxes. Does anyone know when
these boxes were first used in America? According to a Wikipedia
article, "knob and tube wiring (sometimes abbreviated K&T) was the
earliest standardized method of electrical wiring in buildings, in
common use from about 1880 to the 1930s." It appears to me that this
approach didn't use junction boxes much so they probably didn't come
on the scene until the thirties or so. Thanks in advance for any
help. Ted