Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Octagonal Junction Boxes

wrote:
I know this is a thin slice but, I am doing a research project that
involves octagonal electrical junction boxes. Does anyone know when
these boxes were first used in America? According to a Wikipedia
article, "knob and tube wiring (sometimes abbreviated K&T) was the
earliest standardized method of electrical wiring in buildings, in
common use from about 1880 to the 1930s." It appears to me that this
approach didn't use junction boxes much so they probably didn't come
on the scene until the thirties or so. Thanks in advance for any
help. Ted

Not a direct answer to your query, but you may enjoy
some background history he
http://www.codecheck.com/codecheck_r...tml#background

especially:
http://www.codecheck.com/wiring_history.htm

Steel junction boxes were very common by 1900 and even earlier.
Most were square, but I wouldn't be surprised if deep octagonal
ones for masonry embedment didn't appear soon after that.

Fascinating history of early electrical company he
http://www.hubbell.com/history.htm

BTW, K&T didn't suddenly come to an end in the 30's.
It was *the* residential wiring method in some cities
way into the 60's ! In these cities, Romex was not
permitted (labor influence) and K&T died a very slow death.

Jim