Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill[_8_] Bill[_8_] is offline

Default Why do we dont need Unions!

Union worker at chemical plant I worked at.
I dont remember his first screwup, but it cost the company quite a bit.
2nd screw up. Contaminated a huge tank of product by pumping in diesel
on top of it.( he pumped into tank 9 instead of 7)(lost the company the
customer on this one)
3rd screw up. Collapsed a huge holding tank because he didnt follow
procedures and didnt open the vent when pumping out the procuct. This
one cost the company several million dollars.

All three screwups happened in one months time. After the third he was
fired.

Guess what, Union appealed.

I got sick of hearing .. you cant do that, thats a union job and they
will file a grievance. And this for something that I did everyday for 5
years at a non unionized work place.

How about this.

If you dont like a company, then quit. Go get a better job somewhere
else. But you have to compete against other people. Thats what unions
take out of the equation. In the union its not the best person gets the
job. Its who has been there longest.

TANSTAAFL

Companies are getting strangled by unions. My wife works in a union
position but is not in the union.(right to work state) She cant believe
how much they pay her to do the rote work she does.

Guess what,, all the new chemical plants and refinerys are going to
Saudi, Dubai, Quatar. They call them joint ventures. When you have
everyone making 40.00 an hour here on what is really a 10.00 an hour
job, thats what happens. When you cant get rid of the boneheads and
slackers and incompentents you are running with 30% more people than is
needed and that makes it real easy for the company to decide to put the
new styrene or polyethelyne unit or whatever overseas where they will
get a 40% return on investment instead of 7% here in the states.

Ok.. rant off.