Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Tool bit for V-Belt Pulley

Brad,
First, be certain of your dimensions, please reference the machinery
handbook. In that you will find that the "V" angles are slightly different
for each belt size. They may look the same, but they are not. Second, yes,
you can plunge cut the groove in a single operation, but the blank must be
really securely chucked and supported with the tailstock, the machine should
be at least 8 tons in mass and have a 10-15 hp motor. You need a seriously
stout machine to cut an "A" size pulley. Without that the chatter will make
the task impossible. I have a 18 x 54 Lodge & Shipley in pristine condition.
It weighs 6 tons, has a 15 hp motor and I don't do it. When making one off
pulleys, I use a parting tool and blow the center out to depth, then I use a
specially ground tool to shape the sides, but I only do that on the L & S.
On smaller machines, the first step is the same then I turn the compound to
the correct angle and machine each side seperately.
Steve

"Brad Smallridge" wrote in message
A Few Questions:

I recently made a V-belt pulley but