Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Firewood stacking

On Nov 8, 2:46 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 8, 10:03 am, "Cshenk" wrote:
"RickH" wrote

I use 2 trees in the back as "bookends" then stack between them up to
about 5 feet high, well away from the house. By spring I burn up
everything before the trees come back even if that just means having a
Memorial day bon fire.

Neat! Wish we had such a setup here but we do not. Do you raise them up
off the ground a bit or just let the bottom layer dry out someplace else for
next year?

I stack right on the ground. The bottom layer usually has a bit of
damp dirt on it that I scrape off but I don't have a problem with
rotting if the wood is used withing a year or two. I am currently
burning some that was stacked under the drip edge of the garage roof
for a minimum of 3 years, may have been 4. Bottom layer had a fairly
thik layier of damp dirt, a a very thing 1/8" penetration of beginning
rot.

Dunno how that fits with your climate, I am in semi arid area.

It's a little different here in seattle.

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Oh? Not all that much. Your rain is measured in feet, mine in inches
and fractions . I am over here in the Palouse in the 7th year of
drought. We are again about 4" shy of normal and normal is only
around 16".

Harry K