Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Why do we need Unions?

"sparky" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip-----

Unions keep the wages of the skilled, hard working people low and
artificially inflate the wages of the people who barely do enough to
keep their jobs. Of course, once they have been there for 3 months
they are a "brother" and cannot be fired.

I expect that's the case with our dear friend Millwright Ron, the union man.
The people I've known that supported the union were, for the most part,
people that needed one to exist. It's all they had going for them. They
screamed union at every turn, secure in the knowledge that they couldn't
keep a job without one, lacking the necessary skills and experience to do
so. They're typically so entrenched in union dogma that they don't have a
clue about the work they're supposed to represent, but then, that doesn't
matter much, because they don't do much work, anyway. I've never met a
union man that was able to hold his own when confronted with the need for
skills and talent, and had to get the job out. A particularly good example
is an old friend, who had the union represent him for the vast majority of
his working career as a wireman. His greatest skill was carrying around a
coffee cup while he pretended to be working. Half a man, but a full day's
pay. Somehow it doesn't make sense.

Harold