Posted to alt.home.repair
jthread jthread is offline

Default Replacing Grout on bathroom walls

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"jthread" wrote in message

Ya know in retrospect that probably isn't the best advice. When I worked
at Color Tile, we told customers to mix the sealer with the grout but we
knew which products the customers were buying. When I retiled my bathroom
the tile manager at HomeDepot said he does (mix the sealer in) but HD
instructs them to tell the customers to follow the products instructions
only. No doubt due to lawsuits. If you contact the grout or sealer mfg I
would suspect they would tell you the same.

OTOH: I always mix the sealer in and the results are great. But I'm a
brave soul!

What is the point of this? How does it affect the grout performance and
life? Where is it documented?

Bob

There isn't any documentation as far as I know. This all came from my tenure
at Color Tile and talking to people in the business. In theory it makes the
tile easier to keep clean and keeps you from having to redo your sealer.
When I look for sealer I get a water base sealer. (which I should of
mentioned too) I wouldn't try oil based. After you posted your response I
went and checked my last grout job. I tried to chip it and it held up (see
you made me doubt my advice) BTW: Thanks for chiming in. It is irresponsible
to tell people to mix chemicals w/o knowing what they are mixing. I always
assume I'm talking to people that would back my claims up with a little
research of their own, and we all know about assumptions. All of my posts
should read "marginal advice, proceed at your own risk, IMO, YMMV etc...."

Of course, this is assuming also, the OP was using standard cement grout.
Not an epoxy grout or some special blend with hardeners in it.

If I was in doubt, "I" would try mixing a small batch to see how it hardens.
But I've used several brands of water based sealer and the results have
always been the same. Usually, I get the middle of road priced sealer at HD.

All ng advice is marginal IMO.

From now on I'm following HD's advice and tell people to stick to the mfg.
directions. It's not worth the risk.

Sorry for the confusion.