Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Firewood stacking

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 7, 6:41 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Cshenk" wrote in message

We've been looking but all the rentals are 50$-75$ a day in our area. At
that
price, a unit with our usage level making it probably last quite a few
years,
would pay for itself we think and be less hassle?
If it only lasted 4 years it would break even. If we had the unit, about
3/4
cord would get chopped smaller this year of the 2 cords and only because we
kinda like the smaller pieces. Easier to handle and all that.

I regularly check craigslist, and picked up a used gas splitter for $300. I
don't use it that often, but figure it will easily pay for itself in saved
rentals or medical bills.

Bob

I find splitting wood manually a relaxing, enjoyable thing. In
addition it is about the greatest exercise going as you use all your
muscles. . I am also 72 and do a minimum of 6 cord yearly. All
manually except the knots and crotches that I save out and when a
batch collects run them through the hydraulic splitter.

Visiting my father, I spent half a day splitting some wood with him. Lots of
wedge and hammer action. The next day I was so sore it hurt to laugh. My father,
who does this more than I had no such problem. He's 85.

Bob