Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Burning particle board

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.
Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Here's a guy without a clue.

Bob

Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with phenol
resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are no worse than
burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as arsenicals or
chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar nature, it is best land
filled.

OP and some respondents are not addressing issue.

I could be wrong, but the EPA seems to agree with me.
"Never burn ocean driftwood, plywood, particle board, or any wood with glue on
or in it. They all release toxic chemicals when burned."

http://www.epa.gov/woodstoves/healthier.html

Bob