Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Off topic - S-video to composite conversion

On Nov 7, 5:13 pm, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
writes:

snip
I thought about that more after I said capacitors. The ideal

situation
would be to use a summing amplifier. Nearly as good would be
converting the chroma to current output rather than voltage using

transconductance amplifier and then resistively sum the chroma

and
luma. What exactly was in the home built combiner? Just a 'Y'

cord?

I've done the home-built with the capacitor, as well as with Y and

shorted together, or with a small resistor between them.

The IC solution like Intersel ISL59114 has the summing amp approach
along with a low pass filter on both Y and C. I wonder
if the LPF is part of the missing link here. Except that the

commercial
S-video adapter has nothing inside as far as I can tell.

None of that touches digital. HD across the LAN cables works

great
with the 'TV' computer connected DVI to a 50" DLP.

Let met get into S-video before jumping into digital.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/

The filtering is done in the Y/R-Y/B-Y section before modulating the
subcarrier so it's just fine to sum it together.

GG