The Masked Marvel

Default Teflon tape/ Hydraulics

clogging of orfices, and that most hydraulaics are sealed w/ 37°, 45° or
other angle faces, or O-rings against bosses/c-bores, not the threads so do
not nead a sealant, though NPT fittings do. Same is true for heating oil
lines/fittings. The Teflon does not dissolve in oil (or much of anything)
but it doesn't seal oil well either, so tapered thread fittings tend to
seep.

"larsen-tools" wrote in message
I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to uses Teflon tape on threaded
joints in a hydraulic system.
Is that correct and if so, why?

Is it because tape can break off & clog the orifices, or, is it because
hydraulic fluid dissolves Teflon? (it seems to) ...... or are there other
reasons?
Pipe threading compound contains Teflon.
I'm wondering if I should take all those fittings apart and replace the
tape.
TIA