Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Cutting a board from the top

On Nov 8, 9:42 am, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
In the tenants' apartment in our 1840's townhouse a portion of the wide
plank soft pine floor has cracked. My intention is to cut out and replace
the cracked piece with a patch of modern clear pine stained and polyed to
match the rest of the board (it is under a rug anyway). The patch would be
three inches wide between two joists (22" OC) while the original board is 8
feet long. In order to do this I have to cut out about a 3" wide piece of
this board out across the top of one joist. So I only have access from the
top of the board. My guess is the best way to do this is with a sharp
pointed knife. Do you think either one of these would work:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,130,43332,4...
orhttp://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=54870&cat=1,51222&ap=1

(my guess is the Murphy Knife set would be better for cutting from the top
with the knife at an angle)
or what about a simple utility knife? Any other thoughts?
--
Peace,
BobJ

You will be in for a looooonnng project trying to cut it out with a
knife. I consider it in the 'impossible' range. Yes, using a saw
from the top will cause a rough cut (splinters pulled up) on the cross
cut. To avoid that make a cut with a very sharp knife and cut just
inside that. The rip cut shouldn't be a problem.

Harry K