Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Which Saw???

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:37:11 -0500, Andy K. mcse666@gmail_com wrote:

Hello All,

I am new to turning and have a general question concerning saws. I
have recently purchased a VS mini lathe due to space limitations. My
main objective is to start with pens and other small objects. I have
seen two different schools of thought concerning saws. Some say a band
saw is the best bet to start with, and others say a table saw. Any
thought on which is the best to start with for a beginner and
suggections for a particular model to match your thoughts.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy K.
I'm never lost, someone is always telling me where to go...

Andy... I didn't need a bandsaw until I started turning..

A lot depends on WHAT you're turning, and what types of wood you're using...

If you're turning pens from purchased pen blanks, either is fine, though I feel
safer cutting pen blanks to length on the bandsaw..
I've built jigs and sleds but still don't feel comfortable cutting 2" lengths
off of a 3/4x3/4 blank on a table saw.. Bandsaw also has a smaller kerf, so less
wood wasted..

THE big difference between the 2 saws is that most turners end of working with a
lot of green/wet wood and irregular shape pieces... NOT good on a TS but pretty
safe and doable on a BS..

As others have mentioned, the BS takes up a lot less room.. I'll add that it's
also quieter and easier to control dust on than a TS..

Obviously, the TS is better at cutting straight and the BS does bends well..
You can cut boards down to pen blanks size on a BS but it's a bitch getting a
bowl blank round on a TS.. ;-]

I have the Ridgid 14" BS from Home Depot.. not a popular tool in this group, but
it has worked very well for me for 4 or 5 years and the $350 price was right...
Whatever saw you get, TS or BS, be safe and use GOOD quality blades..
Especially on the BS.. I've seen folks that HATE their BS until someone puts a
real blade on it.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing